Here's what I've got for ya!

Post any feedback, problems and bugs from the Pre-Alpha releases here.

Moderator: Spudsdude

Here's what I've got for ya!

Postby digitalhigh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Well...it's only taken me several months to bite the bullet and start using the new program...I'll admit, I tried it once before and the change in environment was a bit deterring. But, I hunkered down, loaded my lib. up, and started testing. Below is the laundry list of problems/suggestions I came up with.

1. Movie image saving...option to auto-download on "scrape using"...as in, when I scrape an individual movie, I'd like to be able to tell the program to automagically grab me some kind of poster/backdrop.

2. If choosing an image, add an option to "save on selection"...instead of "pick in the list of images", wait for it to load, then select the full image to save...just let me save it when I pick it from the viewer.

3. Re-scraping is a bit weird, almost frustrating...

Maybe another IMDB update button or just explain how the scraping method works? My primary example is the film "New World Order"...TMDB tt1215983. I scraped it the first time and it came back as a film called "Noon Blue Apples"...and now it's stuck like this. No amount of deleting, unlocking, or re-scraping seems to tell it to look for the proper IMDB ID and get me that info...

4. Allow for closing/moving of the poster/extra image display window. On that note, the cover images currenly overlap in a 4:3 resolution monitor. Hell, I've got three monitors...multimon support would be muy sexy. Like, make it detachable from the main prog. window?

5. Is there a way to actually see what I've got for the fanart other than collapsing all the info windows? Either think about allowing the backdrop to be in it's own window as well (again, detachable from main prog would be SWEET), or maybe make the infopanes transparent so I can see how the fanart/poster looks together.

6. Right-click on image to remove it would be great...dunno how else to delete incorrect images w/o browsing to movie folder. Else put a button in the "big image viewer" that would allow a replace/delete?

7. Add a setting to determine the default for lock/unlock/lock+. It's a pain if a movie scrapes the wrong info, then you have to go and unlock everything to re-scrape the proper data. If I had the option, I'd set everything to always be unlocked. There's always a chance that I don't like the info on TMDB and that I'll go and re-write it myself.

8. Years are displaying as (????) when it asks me to select the movie from list when scraping from TMDB. I can pull it off cuz I know the plot already, but if I didn't, I'd be screwed.

9. Auto-save when re-scraped. I "fixed" several entries last night, only I didn't know I had to click the "save" button now...so I've gotta fix them twice. In fact, does it save on the first scrape? If not, it really should...makes doing a bunch of movies faster.

10. How can I remove all my old "skin" tags w/o manually going through and unlocking every single studio entry in my 700+ movie collection? Goes along the lines of "auto unlock" all entry fields.

11. I don't follow how the scraping between IMDB and TMDB is working. IMDB finds "Jackass: The Lost Tapes" as "James Brown: Body Heat", however, a scrape with TMDB gives me the right results. Maybe just merge the results and let me pick the proper movie? I know the picker is there for users in other countries...but a lot of people are always just going to be using the two main ones. Maybe include an option in the dropdown to use IMDB+TMDB at the same time?

12. Okay, for the movie selection window...can you have it flash in the taskbar when it opens? I multitask, and without a reminder that a new window has opened, I could spend all day forgetting to check UMM to see if it's ready for me yet. ;)

13. How to remove entries from database?? I had "Nick Swardson, Seriously WHo Farted" in my movies, then realized the IMDB ID was a TV entry, so I dropped it into my TV folder. However, the DB entry is still there. It would be cool to have a right-click feature that says "remove from DB" or something.

14. Auto-renaming of movie files? Or any kind of renaming for that matter? Also, maybe include an option to "rename folder based on scraped title"? I sometimes forget to capitalize folders...it would be neat to be able to properly rename them based on IMDB/TMDB.

15. It says something about image caching in the settings app...however, I have to re-scrape an unsaved movie in order to see the new images. Is this just because I haven't saved the movie info?

16. In that pesky "scrape using" box...the tooltips sometimes get in the way of being able to select which site to use...seems to happen only w. TMDB when it's at the bottom of the list and the list reaches to the bottom of the screen.

17. Do you use posters from that other site you used to pick? IMPAAwards?

18. Refresh method for images pulled from TMDB seems a little slow? As in...I found some pics for "The Book of Eli" that were just terrible, so I went into TMDB and deleted them. Now they just show up with an X in the program. This is probably just something on TMDB's side...but still an issue.

19. What is the "Read XBMC Database Schema" button for? I don't have XBMC-PC installed on this rig currently, so I can't just try it. If it does what I think it does...can there be functionality to "read XBMC schema from FTP"? As in...Xbox support?

To summarize...I think the biggest thing for me is the auto-saving and re-scraping. Auto-saving all the stuff to .nfo on first scrape would be great. Having it dl/save the thumb/bg as soon as I click it in the viewer would be a + as well. And if you could explain what I'm doing wrong in making it re-scrape based on IMDB ID...that would be awesome.

I love the fast loading times...definitely a pleasant change from the old app. The way images are handled now is awesome as well. I can get through a list of new downloads MUCH faster. And while I haven't played with the server/client thing, I think I'm understanding how very cool it could be.

That's it for the MOVIES section. I'll probably give the TV section a go later today, report back. Def. interested in seeing how the auto-sorting feature works, as well as giving the DB a run for it's money. Sorry it took me so long to get working with this!!
digitalhigh
Team umX
Team umX

Re: Here's what I've got for ya!

Postby Spudsdude » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Now that's feedback :D .. nicely done

What revision are you using?

When I reference a "core" level issue, it means that code is handled by the core of UMM, these are high priority items
When I reference a "form" level issue, it means it's just something that's done outside of the core, these won't matter when the final UI is ready, but some will be addressed as they make testing things hard/impossible.

digitalhigh wrote:Well...it's only taken me several months to bite the bullet and start using the new program...I'll admit, I tried it once before and the change in environment was a bit deterring. But, I hunkered down, loaded my lib. up, and started testing. Below is the laundry list of problems/suggestions I came up with.

1. Movie image saving...option to auto-download on "scrape using"...as in, when I scrape an individual movie, I'd like to be able to tell the program to automagically grab me some kind of poster/backdrop.

The automatic options allow you to do that, just check what you want to have processed and it'll do it.
But, you have a good point in that there should be an option that allows this when just running scrape.
The good thing is that this is just a defect of the test form and not of the core code.

2. If choosing an image, add an option to "save on selection"...instead of "pick in the list of images", wait for it to load, then select the full image to save...just let me save it when I pick it from the viewer.

This one is abit more complex due to all the different ways images are loaded.. some come from cache, some are local on the client, some are the preview images from the site it was scraped from, some are local images generated off the movie, some are being downloaded by the server, some are already in the servers cache. But that's all backend junk and shouldn't matter from the usability perspective. The code is in place that already knows what the image is going to be when it's selected, we certainly could create another image selection form (it's all dynamic code, so very easy to do), that shows larger images and does just what you have asked.
Noted as a feature request, this is a core level issue as I need to rework those images options and clean up the "too many types of images" issue I created in the core.

Maybe another IMDB update button or just explain how the scraping method works? My primary example is the film "New World Order"...TMDB tt1215983. I scraped it the first time and it came back as a film called "Noon Blue Apples"...and now it's stuck like this. No amount of deleting, unlocking, or re-scraping seems to tell it to look for the proper IMDB ID and get me that info...

rescape with options would override the imdbid (well it should).. the issue is that it's checking the imdbid first, if there is one, it's using that. Maybe that should be done with a dialog that prompts (only on imdb, and later tmdb) if you want to use the current id stored with the movie..
Temp workaround.. delete the imdbid and save movie, then scrape again.
Again a form level issue with test form.

4. Allow for closing/moving of the poster/extra image display window. On that note, the cover images currenly overlap in a 4:3 resolution monitor. Hell, I've got three monitors...multimon support would be muy sexy. Like, make it detachable from the main prog. window?

neat idea on the form dock, i'll mess around with it just to see what i can do, form level issue with test form not a core failure.

5. Is there a way to actually see what I've got for the fanart other than collapsing all the info windows? Either think about allowing the backdrop to be in it's own window as well (again, detachable from main prog would be SWEET), or maybe make the infopanes transparent so I can see how the fanart/poster looks together.

form level issue, images can be displayed in many different ways.. be cool to see if transparency will work in mono as well.

6. Right-click on image to remove it would be great...dunno how else to delete incorrect images w/o browsing to movie folder. Else put a button in the "big image viewer" that would allow a replace/delete?

form level issue, but great idea for a function that can clean out images or replace them

7. Add a setting to determine the default for lock/unlock/lock+. It's a pain if a movie scrapes the wrong info, then you have to go and unlock everything to re-scrape the proper data. If I had the option, I'd set everything to always be unlocked. There's always a chance that I don't like the info on TMDB and that I'll go and re-write it myself.

rescrape with options allows you to override locks.. easy enough to pass everything ignoring the locks.. maybe a config option, don't use locks or more granular for what each field lock should be.
When manually entering data, no locks are checked.. so you don't have to unlock a field to change the data manually, it's mainly in place so that if you scrape a movie you can retain portions from one scraper and images from many.

8. Years are displaying as (????) when it asks me to select the movie from list when scraping from TMDB. I can pull it off cuz I know the plot already, but if I didn't, I'd be screwed.

Don't think xbmc's tmdb scraper pulls that data, scraper specific issue, defect noted.

9. Auto-save when re-scraped. I "fixed" several entries last night, only I didn't know I had to click the "save" button now...so I've gotta fix them twice. In fact, does it save on the first scrape? If not, it really should...makes doing a bunch of movies faster.

should save when scraped, if not it's a bug, try to reproduce.. be sure to select another movie and then go back to the one you scraped to ensure it's not a cache or display issue.
Also, i'll add an option when the field data changes that a save is needed, that way it can prompt if you attempt to move to another movie.

10. How can I remove all my old "skin" tags w/o manually going through and unlocking every single studio entry in my 700+ movie collection? Goes along the lines of "auto unlock" all entry fields.

rescrape with options will do one movie at a time, we can add the same option to the autoprocessing

11. I don't follow how the scraping between IMDB and TMDB is working. IMDB finds "Jackass: The Lost Tapes" as "James Brown: Body Heat", however, a scrape with TMDB gives me the right results. Maybe just merge the results and let me pick the proper movie? I know the picker is there for users in other countries...but a lot of people are always just going to be using the two main ones. Maybe include an option in the dropdown to use IMDB+TMDB at the same time?

debug log for those please, I need to see what it's looking at when it's handed off to the scraper

12. Okay, for the movie selection window...can you have it flash in the taskbar when it opens? I multitask, and without a reminder that a new window has opened, I could spend all day forgetting to check UMM to see if it's ready for me yet. ;)

good question, have to see how that works.

13. How to remove entries from database?? I had "Nick Swardson, Seriously WHo Farted" in my movies, then realized the IMDB ID was a TV entry, so I dropped it into my TV folder. However, the DB entry is still there. It would be cool to have a right-click feature that says "remove from DB" or something.

Will be an option to "clean up database", prob use the same wording as xbmc, UMM's database is being redesigned by Montellese so this will prob be added during/after that is ready. The new database allows you to pick what kind of database to use (sqlite, mysql, etc), and it's way more dynamic and robust.

14. Auto-renaming of movie files? Or any kind of renaming for that matter? Also, maybe include an option to "rename folder based on scraped title"? I sometimes forget to capitalize folders...it would be neat to be able to properly rename them based on IMDB/TMDB.

Yup, going to be working on the movie rename options and it'll have that ability.

15. It says something about image caching in the settings app...however, I have to re-scrape an unsaved movie in order to see the new images. Is this just because I haven't saved the movie info?

movie should be automatically saved, so this is a defect.

16. In that pesky "scrape using" box...the tooltips sometimes get in the way of being able to select which site to use...seems to happen only w. TMDB when it's at the bottom of the list and the list reaches to the bottom of the screen.

yeah, need to find a way to organize those better, it's a dynamic list generated based off what scrapers you have installed. I.e. if you remove the scraper from the scraper folder, it's not going to show up anymore.. could be an installer option for which ones to install (i.e. copy by default to the scraper folder)

17. Do you use posters from that other site you used to pick? IMPAAwards?

yup, it's in the imdb scraper, enabled by default, here's the section from the imdb.xml file (xbmc's scraper that we added some options to)
Code: Select all
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable Full Cast Credits" type="bool" id="fullcredits" default="false"></setting>" dest="5">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable themoviedb.org" type="bool" id="tmdbthumbs" default="true"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable IMPAwards" type="bool" id="impawards" default="true"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable MoviePosterDB" type="bool" id="movieposterdb" default="true"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable IMDB Trailer" type="bool" id="trailer" default="true"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable DTrailer.com Trailer" type="bool" id="dtrailer" default="false"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>
- <RegExp input="$$1" output="<setting label="Enable Fanart" type="bool" id="fanart" default="true"></setting>" dest="5+">
  <expression />
  </RegExp>

18. Refresh method for images pulled from TMDB seems a little slow? As in...I found some pics for "The Book of Eli" that were just terrible, so I went into TMDB and deleted them. Now they just show up with an X in the program. This is probably just something on TMDB's side...but still an issue.

19. What is the "Read XBMC Database Schema" button for? I don't have XBMC-PC installed on this rig currently, so I can't just try it. If it does what I think it does...can there be functionality to "read XBMC schema from FTP"? As in...Xbox support?

Right now it's just a test option, it's going to be part of the XBMC integration where UMM talks directly with XBMC's database, basically right now it's checks the schema of the XBMC database as we will have to take account for different versions, and even different versions depending on what it's running on.. example.. have an xbox with xbmc, uses old xbmc version, have an apple tv with xbmc, useing the latest svn nightly builds, have a laptop running xbmc 9.11.. all of these have (or may have) different database schema's, but I want UMM to be able to update all of them automagically without requireing that they all are on the same xbmc version. (i won't update my xbox version since it works flawlessly)

To summarize...I think the biggest thing for me is the auto-saving and re-scraping. Auto-saving all the stuff to .nfo on first scrape would be great. Having it dl/save the thumb/bg as soon as I click it in the viewer would be a + as well. And if you could explain what I'm doing wrong in making it re-scrape based on IMDB ID...that would be awesome.

hopefully your running an older build (not 563) as I thought i had fixed it, but again that's a bug, it should be saving on the first time. let me know the build your running, if older then 563, please try 563.

I love the fast loading times...definitely a pleasant change from the old app. The way images are handled now is awesome as well. I can get through a list of new downloads MUCH faster. And while I haven't played with the server/client thing, I think I'm understanding how very cool it could be.

the server client makes things even faster for movies (and will for everything when done).. I open umm, in 1 second everything is up an running.. (server continues to scan for and check for changes, it keeps what it knows in cache making the remote client super fast :D.. downfalls are it's complex when the form can do both, and actually requires two completely different API's to pull it off, a core API that interfaces with all the things that make up UMM, and a remote api that translates all that into calls and data that can be sent over TCP (and later http).

That's it for the MOVIES section. I'll probably give the TV section a go later today, report back. Def. interested in seeing how the auto-sorting feature works, as well as giving the DB a run for it's money. Sorry it took me so long to get working with this!!

love the feedback, good bad or indifferent feedback is the key.

Even today we still get folks that complain in other forums, yet have 0 posts here even asking for help or telling us when something is messed up or just plain silly.

if you get a chance to add trac tickets for these please do, it makes it easier for a dev to grab a ticket and get it fixed up.
Feel free to copy paste, tickets don't have to be properly formed or with proper grammer.

Example Ticket(s):
I click on "show scraper details" and it crashes when i'm connected to a server, when i'm working without a server it works fine.

another example
Show scraper details doesn't show picture for IMDB

and another example
Show scraper details doesn't show all the details

and one more
umm client 640x480.. unusable, things overlap in display
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby digitalhigh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:04 am

Spudsdude wrote:Now that's feedback :D .. nicely done

What revision are you using?

I am using the newest rev from the alpha thread.

rescape with options would override the imdbid (well it should).. the issue is that it's checking the imdbid first, if there is one, it's using that. Maybe that should be done with a dialog that prompts (only on imdb, and later tmdb) if you want to use the current id stored with the movie..
Temp workaround.. delete the imdbid and save movie, then scrape again.
Again a form level issue with test form.

Tried this again...the log shows it's using the proper IMDB ID, but it just doesn't grab the info. Deleting ID throws it back to Noon Blue Apple.

should save when scraped, if not it's a bug, try to reproduce.. be sure to select another movie and then go back to the one you scraped to ensure it's not a cache or display issue.
Also, i'll add an option when the field data changes that a save is needed, that way it can prompt if you attempt to move to another movie.

Just tried it again...now all works. I know I'm not crazy, however. I'll continue trying to replicate the results.

debug log for those please, I need to see what it's looking at when it's handed off to the scraper

Log link posted at end of file...It's a biggun...the last few entries are me telling the scraper to look at this one and the "New World Order" entry.

movie should be automatically saved, so this is a defect.

Okay, I just tried scraping the movie 2:22, which was originally rec'd as Quantum of Solace. All the data comes in properly, but the images stay linked to QOS. Also, no way to clear cast list w/o "rescrape w. Options". Actually, just tried "rescrape w. options", and the image links and cast list stay no matter what.

You never answered this one? :D

hopefully your running an older build (not 563) as I thought i had fixed it, but again that's a bug, it should be saving on the first time. let me know the build your running, if older then 563, please try 563.

Yes, I am using 563.

And...logs. Here's the snippet from where I was scraping NWO and the other movie.

http://pastebin.com/m36174f89
digitalhigh
Team umX
Team umX

Postby Spudsdude » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:02 am

give 570 a try, fixed some of the things you posted about .. details in svn commits from 563 - 570
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Return to Pre-Alpha