[OSX] Setup issues and cannot connect to ummServer

Post any feedback, problems and bugs from the Pre-Alpha releases here.

Moderator: Spudsdude

[OSX] Setup issues and cannot connect to ummServer

Postby Seviliano » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:21 pm

as seen from the amount of views and no reply till now I think that must of the OSX-fans suffer with the installation. (same to me).
All requirements of additional software are implemented but now i snag at the location to install (usr/bin/umm).
This might be to be operated with the terminal and in this regard my knowledge is very poor. Is there anybody who is able to give some hints how to proceed with the installation. (commands in the terminal to find usr/bin, to create new folder umm and finally to install the correct package of UMX.
Meanwhile to get familiar with the whole content I have checked latest version with windows (implementation of additional folder is very easy) and found an extraordinary Media Manager which will become perfect for me in the near future, due to all additional requirements are implemented already or foreseen. A good basis to compare if the functions with OSX are similar.

Seviliano
Seviliano

Re: OSX / Linux - Test need for image generation from media file

Postby Montellese » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Seviliano wrote:as seen from the amount of views and no reply till now I think that must of the OSX-fans suffer with the installation. (same to me).
All requirements of additional software are implemented but now i snag at the location to install (usr/bin/umm).
This might be to be operated with the terminal and in this regard my knowledge is very poor. Is there anybody who is able to give some hints how to proceed with the installation. (commands in the terminal to find usr/bin, to create new folder umm and finally to install the correct package of UMX.
Meanwhile to get familiar with the whole content I have checked latest version with windows (implementation of additional folder is very easy) and found an extraordinary Media Manager which will become perfect for me in the near future, due to all additional requirements are implemented already or foreseen. A good basis to compare if the functions with OSX are similar.

Seviliano

Actually you should be able to run UMM from any folder you like. Just download the OSX package and extract it to any folder you like. What you then have to do to get it running is opening a terminal and go to that folder ("cd" is used to change to a folder so something like this "cd /path/to/the/umm/folder" should do it). Then you need to run it like this:

ummClient running locally only:
Code: Select all
mono ummClient.exe

running the ummServer and connecting with ummClient to it over a network:
Code: Select all
mono ummServer.exe

mono ummClient.exe

If you need more help just ask :)
Montellese
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Seviliano » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 am

Thank you for the quick reply. Everything is running fine and it is possible to activate every single exe.-file.
There is still one problem (same to windows-version) - the server (on port 8888??) can not be activated and crashes. This might be the reason that under ummConfigEditor, in case I try to add a path for the drive the movies are located, this external drive does not show up in the tree.
Under windows it was possible to find all external drives.
Please tell me if this forum is the right place to discuss my personal (? :D ) problems or better to use your personal link.

Regards

Seviliano
Seviliano

Postby Montellese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Seviliano wrote:Thank you for the quick reply. Everything is running fine and it is possible to activate every single exe.-file.

I'm glad to hear that :D
Seviliano wrote:There is still one problem (same to windows-version) - the server (on port 8888??) can not be activated and crashes.

Can you post the debug log (which you should find in the "logs" folder in the umm base folder? Do you know by chance if there is another application running which uses TCP Port 8888?
We should probably add a way to change the used port as it is very likely that other applications use this port as well.
Seviliano wrote:This might be the reason that under ummConfigEditor, in case I try to add a path for the drive the movies are located, this external drive does not show up in the tree.
Under windows it was possible to find all external drives.

The ummConfigEditor is independent of the ummServer and the ummClient. It is only a tool that loads the config.xml file and provides an "easy" way to change options for UMM (otherwise you would have to manually edit the config.xml). I can't think of a reason why a hard drive would not show up in the directory tree. Maybe this is something mono related.
Seviliano wrote:Please tell me if this forum is the right place to discuss my personal (? :D ) problems or better to use your personal link.

Normally there is never only one person with the same problem. So if we discuss this here where everyone can read it maybe it will help someone else which runs into the same or a similar problem.
I will move the posts related to your problem to a new thread dedicated to OSX setup.
Montellese
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Seviliano » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Log-file will be posted as attachement.
There is no other application running under port 8888.

I have checked the used ports by portscan of the network-administration-program and only the commen ports are used. As a user of the mediaserver PLEX Ports 1400 (XBMSP) 21 (FTP), 3689 (DAAP and UNP) and 80 (TuxBox,SMB) are used additionally.

Have created on the router a new Port 8888 as web-server with protocol TCP. Working now on maybe required alterations of the firewall and the network-configuration and will come back tomorrow with possible improvements.

Are there some other users of OSX a bit more ahead with UMX??
Attachments
Kopie2010.01.26.log
(5.14 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Seviliano

Postby Spudsdude » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Seviliano wrote:Log-file will be posted as attachement.
There is no other application running under port 8888.

I have checked the used ports by portscan of the network-administration-program and only the commen ports are used. As a user of the mediaserver PLEX Ports 1400 (XBMSP) 21 (FTP), 3689 (DAAP and UNP) and 80 (TuxBox,SMB) are used additionally.

Have created on the router a new Port 8888 as web-server with protocol TCP. Working now on maybe required alterations of the firewall and the network-configuration and will come back tomorrow with possible improvements.

Are there some other users of OSX a bit more ahead with UMX??

Please give the 555 build a try and please let us know if that fixes the issue

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=277
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Seviliano » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 am

The existing mono-version 2.6 has been changed to 2.4.2.3. After that, UMX OSX-Version 555 had been tested. The two issues still remain:
1. No connection to server is possible. ummClent.exe without server can be used.
2. With the ummConfigEditor.exe it is not possible to add Medias due to missing external drives in the tree offered to search the correct folder.

By the way, compared to the Windows-version one file is missing in the osx-version: ummCommandlineTvShowUpdater.

Regards

Seviliano
Seviliano

Postby Spudsdude » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:15 am

Seviliano wrote:The existing mono-version 2.6 has been changed to 2.4.2.3. After that, UMX OSX-Version 555 had been tested. The two issues still remain:
1. No connection to server is possible. ummClent.exe without server can be used.
2. With the ummConfigEditor.exe it is not possible to add Medias due to missing external drives in the tree offered to search the correct folder.

By the way, compared to the Windows-version one file is missing in the osx-version: ummCommandlineTvShowUpdater.

Regards

Seviliano

I'll be redoing the server with it's own configuration options (like port), when i convert it over to a service.

The commandline tv show update was removed, a new updated version will be created that makes the same calls as the rest of UMM. The older version was a good starting point to get shows working, but became out of sync with the rest of UMM so I removed it.

You should be able to add the paths to the config.xml file, i'm not sure why it's not showing the media as available in the config editor. I think you can also just type it into the config editor (the path that is).

Please give svn build 572 a try (it's in the bleeding edge builds thread)

also, please post a screen shot of the UI under OSX, I'm curious if the font changes and scaling looks better now (or worse)
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Re: [OSX] Setup issues and cannot connect to ummServer

Postby Seviliano » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm

OK
Tried to start the server with all available versions, but no chance. Therefore will wait for your new solution.

With your assistance it was no possible to start without server.
First of all I copied the path from config.xml (WindowsVersion) to the OSX file of the config. No result. (see screenshot 01).
After that I dropped the information of the correct path in the OSX config.xml as per screenshot 02 which does follow OSX.

Maybe the different structures of both operating systems are the reason that the volumes (USB-connected) do not show in the selection list of the ConfigEditor (see screenshot 1).

After that I played around with the system which is working pretty well for this first short try. Will test in detail and come back.

There are some bugs I noticed during the trial documented in the following screenshots.

Screenshot 2: After start with Client exe all movies show but if one will be indicated the information on the screen is not complete
Screenshot 3: If you indicate afterwards the next movie, the information is more detailed but still not complete
Screenshot 4: Next selection does show the complete information as stored on the volume
Screenshot 5: If you try to re-scrape a movie there is a bug that the system is frozen and can be switched of only by emergency shut down
Screenshot 6:If you try to re-scrape a movie there is an other effect the the system collapse and a report to apple is reported (report attached in screenshot) I assume from this report that some Windows characters interrupt the running system

You asked me to sent a copy of my UI. Do you mean the logfile or something else? If you may tell me the location I will find it will be submitted with the next post
Attachments
5 Try to scrape movie via IMDb Frozen screen.tiff
4 After next change screen complete.tiff
3 Change to other movie screen bit more complete.tiff
02 path location OSX version.tiff
2 First set up screen not complete.tiff
1 Core Configuration Editor - no Volumes offered.tiff
01 path location Windows version.tiff
Seviliano

Postby Seviliano » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:37 pm

one file was missing (Report to apple)
sorry
Attachments
6 Try to scrap movie viaIMDb collaps of Clientexe.txt
(36.14 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Seviliano

Postby Spudsdude » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks for the updated information, does the movie information display correctly if you use mono 2.6?

I'll look over the details and other information tomorrow and see what I can work out.
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Seviliano » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:21 am

changed to mono 2.6
Same bugs with in-complete screen and crash with the function scraping.
Maybe caused by mono, as seen from failure report.
Seviliano

Postby Spudsdude » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:45 pm

Another thing I need you to try

Start the client from a terminal window with the following command

mono --debug ummClient.exe

Try to scrape the movie, and then pastebin all the text from the terminal window (or attach it to the thread if you like)

Thanks
spuds
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Seviliano » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:22 pm

attached please find the report of the terminal-window after the command mono --debug ummClient.exe had been inserted and a re-scrap has been started. The result caused in a crash of the Client.exe.
Same result with a scrap of a brand new movie without any additional information on the external volume.

Regards

Seviliano
Attachments
Terminal Report SEV Fin.rtfd.zip
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Seviliano

Postby Spudsdude » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 am

Ok this build has full debug flags set, please give it a try with
mono --debug ummClient.exe

Just extract it over the current version you have

osx debug2.7z
(4.07 MiB) Downloaded 107 times

Also, please post the UMM log file (located in the logs folder) with today's date after you have attempted to scrape a movie with it.

In addition, please post a screen shot of the ui to see if the changes I made fix up the visual issue the form was having.

thanks!
spuds
Last edited by Spudsdude on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated with actor data fix
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Next

Return to Pre-Alpha