[Build 3 - 343] Starting on OS X [10.6]

Post any feedback, problems and bugs from the Pre-Alpha releases here.

Moderator: Spudsdude

[Build 3 - 343] Starting on OS X [10.6]

Postby Cranial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 am

Now, I know it states 10.5, but thought I'd give Snow Leopard a go. Haven't got 10.5 anymore.

It's a little over my head, so may have done something wrong.

Here's my terminal output so far:

MBP:umm Dropnuts$ mono ummClient.exe
Initialize Component completed
Basefolder: /usr/bin
Attempting to load configuration

Unhandled Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/usr/bin/logs" is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectoriesInternal (System.String path) [0x00000]
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory (System.String path) [0x00000]
at umm.utilities.fileutils.checkDirectoryExists (System.String directoryPath) [0x00000]
at umm.ummconfiguration.setDefaultConfig (System.String basefolder) [0x00000]
at umm.ummconfiguration.getconfig () [0x00000]
at umm.api.dotNetAPI.configGetConfig (System.String& baseFolder) [0x00000]
at devtestform.frmUMMTestForm..ctor () [0x00000]
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) devtestform.frmUMMTestForm:.ctor ()
at devtestform.Program.Main () [0x00000]
MBP:umm Dropnuts$

Any ideas?
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Re: [Build 3 - 343] Starting on OS X [10.6]

Postby Montellese » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:24 am

OK I first have to mention that I don't have any clue about OS X so what I'm suggesting is just a wild guess and may sound ridiculous.

The error you get says that the ummClient can't access the folder "/usr/bin/logs" where it tries to save the log files.
Did you try to change the access rights for that folder giving everyone full read/write access to it?
Montellese
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Cranial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I've given that a go. Good idea but no luck.

Some things might be different in 10.6 . It's trying to output to a non-existent log folder.

I'll have to do some more research and see where I end up. I'll let you know how I go.
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Postby Montellese » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:22 pm

The exception is thrown because umm doesn't have the rights to create a folder in the "/usr/bin" directory. What I'm currently wondering about is why it doesn't first create a folder named "umm" (of course this would fail as well) and then create the "logs" folder inside the "umm" folder. The way it is now umm would put all the files directly into "/usr/bin" which would leave a mess in that folder.

Is it possible to run applications as admin or root in OS X? If so give that a try.
Montellese
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Cranial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm sure it is. Not sure if I'd have to wrap it up as a package. Getting beyond me a bit. I'll have to learn.

But I'd rather not have a test build creating files and folders in the system folders. I'll try to run it in a self contained folder? Maybe edit the config or something.

I'll get there I'm sure.
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Postby Cranial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 pm

Okay, got it running using root privileges. Not optimal but done.

Looks the GUI window was created on a screen much larger than mine and isn't resizing correctly for the smaller screen. Lots of overlaps and missing text.

I'll persist and see what sort of functionality I can test.

Thanks for your help.
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Postby Montellese » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Where did you put the umm files like ummClient.exe etc? umm should take the folder from where it was run as base folder.
Let me know if putting all the umm files into a seperate folder ends up with the same result. I might have something else you could try then which should result in umm storing all the files in /usr/bin/umm.

I had a similar problem in Ubuntu a week or two ago where umm always put all the files into /usr/bin which was a real pain. But that had something to do with running umm directly from MonoDeveloper (a tool to develop mono projects) and was solved when I ran it manually by executing "mono ummClient.exe".

EDIT: Yeah running it as root as well as storing all the files in /usr/bin are far from optimal.
Yeah the Test GUI is very ugly, quite the opposite of an eye-catcher :wink: What screen resolution are you using?
Montellese
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Cranial » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:04 pm

Running in 1280x800 (MBP 13" Max)

I can run ummClient.exe from basically anywhere yet it still uses base folder as /usr/bin/

And this is by running "mono ummClient.exe"
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Postby Spudsdude » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm

It must be failing on getting the process path, so it's falling back to the default hardcoded path. Since I don't have a mac test on, I don't know what is being returned when we ask for the process path. We will have to change the default folders to something else under osx/nix. Please do add a trac ticket on that one.

Please post a screen shot of what the ui looks like under osx, we do want it to be usable for testing, and i suspect a scaling issue (something i've seen under some linux distros as well)

thanks
spuds
Spudsdude
Team umX Developer
Team umX Developer

Postby Cranial » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:42 am

Here's ummClient.exe as it loads (unscaled):

Here's scaled:

And the Trac ticket, I'd rather raise one after another Mac user has had a go with this. I still think it may be something it my process that is wrong, I'm not that experienced with it myself.
Cranial
Official Tester
Official Tester

Return to Pre-Alpha